[Corpora-List] off-topic: stress and corpora

Eric Atwell E.S.Atwell at leeds.ac.uk
Sun Apr 23 10:46:37 CEST 2017

Good morning Marco

(I read your slides on Sunday morning, not Saturday night!)

- could you remind me of the QUESTIONS in your survey? I tried the goo.gl form but it's no longer available.

Thanks for including "how others cope" - I must try some of these (but not drugs ...)

Eric Atwell, School of Computing, University of Leeds

________________________________ From: corpora-bounces at uib.no <corpora-bounces at uib.no> on behalf of Marco Baroni <marco.baroni at unitn.it> Sent: 22 April 2017 20:19:18 To: corpora at uib.no Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] off-topic: stress and corpora

Dear Corpora list members,

Thanks again to those who participated in my survey, and/or replied to me directly.

Today, I gave my CICLing talk, and here are the slides, with the main results of the survey, in case you're curious:

http://clic.cimec.unitn.it/marco/publications/lectures//marco_cicling_stress.pdf

Best,

Marco

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Marco Baroni <marco.baroni at unitn.it<mailto:marco.baroni at unitn.it>> wrote: Dear Corpora list members,

Sorry for the off-topic mail.

Partially inspired by Dirk Hovy's insightful blog post on scientists' "genius complex" (http://www.dirkhovy.com/blog/), and the general feeling that many of us are on the constant verge of a nervous breakdown, I recklessly decided to give a talk about how/whether computational linguists cope with stress at CICLing, a few weeks from now.

For these purposes, I have prepared the following anonymous survey:

https://goo.gl/forms/Qortg5IMPkWrdZn63

It's absolutely methodologically unsound, but I hope it will give me something to talk about. I'd be super-grateful if you could fill it in--even if you're not a computational linguist: I need a control group!

I'll make the (aggregated) results (if any) available in my talk slides, or by other means.

If you have something more to say about the issue, please get in touch with me in private.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Marco

-- Marco Baroni Center for Mind/Brain Sciences (CIMeC) University of Trento http://clic.cimec.unitn.it/marco

-- Marco Baroni Center for Mind/Brain Sciences (CIMeC) University of Trento http://clic.cimec.unitn.it/marco

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 4212 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20170423/d77898aa/attachment.txt>