[Corpora-List] 2nd CFP: 4th Workshop on Argument Mining at EMNLP 2017

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Tue Apr 18 14:56:20 CEST 2017

On 4/18/2017 5:03 AM, Habernal, Ivan wrote:
> Argument mining ... involves automatically identifying
> argumentative structures within discourse...

One point I have not seen in the literature about arguments is the distinction between "What?" questions and "Why?" questions.

A what-question asks for information. But a why-question asks for a reason or sequence of reasons that lead to a conclusion or an explanation.

Terry Winograd's SHRDLU system from the early '70s could answer why-questions by tracing backwards through the its theorem prover. But documents written by and for humans (other than mathematicians or medieval Scholastics) are rarely derived by a theorem prover.

Has anyone been addressing the what/why distinction?

John