Discourse Markers in Romance Languages (DisRom 2017)
The Institute for Language and Communication of the Université catholique de Louvain (UCL) invites researchers on discourse markers in Romance languages to submit contributions for the 5th International Conference Discourse Markers in Romance Languages: Boundaries and Interfaces, which will be held on 8-10 November 2017, in Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium).
The Conference is one of a series of conferences on discourse markers in Romance languages (Madrid, 2010; Buenos Aires, 2011; Campinas, 2012; Heidelberg 2015) and aims to build on the previous events. The conference serves as a platform for internationally renowned linguists and young researchers alike to exchange views and ideas and to broaden their research perspectives. This year’s theme will specifically question issues of categorization and boundaries of the class of discourse markers. In this respect, discourse markers studies invite to further investigate the interfaces between several levels of linguistic analysis (Prosody, Syntax, Semantics, Pragmatics, Discourse).
With special reference to discourse marker research, the conference will be an opportunity to look at the findings provided so far by theoretical and applied linguistics and related disciplines.
The following plenary speakers have already confirmed their attendance:
Prof. Maria-Josep Cuenca, Universitat de Valčncia: Contrastive markers in contrast in Spanish and Catalan
Prof. Jacqueline Visconti, Universitŕ degli Studi di Genova: On the diachrony of discourse markers, with a focus on Italian
Dr. Amália Mendes, Universidade de Lisboa: Lexicographic applications of discourse markers in Portuguese
We welcome abstracts for papers and posters on any theoretical, empirical or applied topic related to discourse markers, including (but not restricted to):
* definition of the discourse marker category;
* lexicons of discourse markers;
* discourse markers and their relation to other pragmatic categories;
* syntax-prosody-discourse interface;
* sociolinguistic approaches to discourse markers;
* variation of discourse markers across registers, languages and language varieties;
* translation studies;
* L1 and L2 acquisition of discourse markers;
* diachronic studies;
* experimental studies;
* corpus-based and computational studies;
* applied studies (business language, legal discourse, educational settings, etc.).
30 April 2017: EXTENDED deadline for abstract submission
15 June 2017: Notification of acceptance
8 – 10 November 2017: Conference dates
Registration will be possible from 1 July, 2017.
--- Call for papers ---
Conference presentation modalities
Oral presentations: presentations should be no longer than 20 minutes. Presentation will be followed by a 10-minute discussion
* Posters should not be larger than A0 size
* Posters may be printed in colour or in black and white
* Authors must bring the printed posters to the conference
* Contributors are requested to be present during the poster sessions
* The poster session(s) will be preceded by a short one-minute poster boost session where authors will have the opportunity to announce the topic of their research
Abstracts and conference languages
Presentations may be held in English or any Romance language. Plenary conferences will be held in English.
Submission of abstracts
Abstracts should be between 500 and 1000-word long (not including figures and references) and must be uploaded as pdf. Abstracts can be written in English or any Romance language. Your abstract should contain a title, but no author name(s) or affiliation(s).
Please submit your abstracts to Easychair<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=disrom2017>
For the submission of abstracts for posters, you can either select the poster option on the online registration site or apply for both an oral presentation and a poster contribution. In the latter case, the scientific committee reserves the right to decide which option will be more appropriate for the proposal submitted.
-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 5265 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20170417/9d64fc75/attachment.txt>