[Corpora-List] A question about corpus linguistics with relevance to natural language processing: how to sample a population of papers about NLP?

Jin-Dong Kim jdkim at dbcls.rois.ac.jp
Thu Apr 13 10:41:20 CEST 2017

Hi Kevin,

I would opt for the options (1) and (2), at the same time.

I think Min-Yen Kan's suggestion to use the already compiled corpus of ACL anthology papers will make your work a lot simpler.

At the same time, as you suggested, stratified sampling may yield lots of interesting results, I feel.

For example, - ACL (as a study corpus) vs. ACL anthology (as a reference corpus), - LREC (as a study corpus) vs. ACL anthology (as a reference corpus)

may yields an interesting comparison.

Once, I was chairing "Language Resources" section of ACL, and many reviewers left comments like "LREC would be a better venue for this manuscript".

The above comparison may be able to explain the difference of the conferences in a descriptive way?

I also can imagine other interesting comparisons like, - Biomedical NLP (as a study corpus) vs ACL/NAACL/EACL (as a reference corpus), or even - ACL anthology (as a study corpus) vs Google Scholar (as a reference corpus).

Cheers,

Jin-Dong