[Corpora-List] Syntactic parsing performance by humans?

Rodolfo Delmonte delmont at unive.it
Sat May 14 09:58:28 CEST 2016

I don’t find dependency parsing useful at all seen its inherent shortcomings in relation with the problem of using its representation to produce a semantic interpretation that is coherent and complete. This is first of all due to the decision to leave out empty categories, which makes it suitable for languages like English, but a lot less suitable for languages like Chinese or Italian and other Romance languages. However, there’s a number of other shortcomings you are certainly aware of that have to do with treatment of relative and interrogative pronouns. Here below the snapshot of the parse of a sentence containing a pied-piping structure which is heavily wrong in many ways as performed by MATE, the best dependency parser in the survey just posted in this thread. I include also the parser of corresponding non embedded sentence to show where dependencies should be, semantically speaking. Rodolfo

-- Rodolfo Delmonte Ph.D. Associate Professor of Computational Linguistics Director of Laboratory of Computational Linguistics Department of Linguistic Studies Ca' Bembo - Dorsoduro 1075 30123 VENEZIA (Italy) website: http//project.cgm.unive.it <http://project.cgm.unive.it/>