[Corpora-List] Syntactic parsing performance by humans?

Rodolfo Delmonte delmont at unive.it
Sat May 14 10:01:19 CEST 2016

As I said in the previous message the sentence parse by MATE is full of mistakes. Here is a comment,

“ I show you the man whose sister’s deckchair you spilled coffee on."

This sentence is full of mistakes: THE MAN is interpreted as being APPOSITION to YOU!!! That is to say, MATE doesn’t know about the existence of double object NPs. the relation of WHOSE is at the same with MAN and with SPILLED - no way to express this in dependency parsing the relation of DECKCHAIR is with ON and not with SPILLED - no preposition stranding the relation of SISTER should be with MAN and not with DECKCHAIR - the genitive use of WHOSE is not recognised the relation of MAN is both with SHOW - it is the OBJ correctly - and with SISTER - but this cannot be represented in dependency parsing

-- Rodolfo Delmonte Ph.D. Associate Professor of Computational Linguistics Director of Laboratory of Computational Linguistics Department of Linguistic Studies Ca' Bembo - Dorsoduro 1075 30123 VENEZIA (Italy) website: http//project.cgm.unive.it <http://project.cgm.unive.it/>