The detailed text for this vacancy is found on
*Next follows a summary of this vacancy.*
The postdoc position (fixed term of two years) is part of the SLPL Lab <https://staff.fnwi.uva.nl/k.simaan/research_all.html>, led by Professor Khalil Sima'an. SLPL currently has 7 PhD candidates, 3 postdoctoral researchers and two research assistants working on five ongoing externally funded projects, including a Vici, H2020 QT21, ITN EXPERT, an Open Competition and an STW project. Please consult theSLPL Lab page<https://staff.fnwi.uva.nl/k.simaan/research_all.html>for more detail.
The postdoctoral researcher will be expected to fulfil the following tasks:
* conduct research in (preferably hierarchical) statistical machine
translation with particular interest in word-order, morphology,
semantics and other specific challenges;
* present and publish research findings together with SLPL team
members in proceedings and journals;
* program and test the developed algorithms in prototype systems and
make these usable for other team members;
* assist in guiding PhD and MSc students working on topics in
Computational Linguistics at large;
* while this is primarily a research position, the successful
candidate will be expected to also make a minor contribution to
Prospective candidates should:
* hold a PhD degree in statistical natural language processing or a
related research area with experience in statistical machine
* have a proven track record of excellence in research, as witnessed
by a strong publication list in relevant first tier conference
proceedings or journals;
* have a proven experience in and affinity with programming and
empirical experimentation with text (parallel) corpora;
* have strong passion for research, a drive to publish and the wish to
learn new skills through working with or assisting in guiding PhD
and MSc students as well as teaching;
* have good communication skills in English, both oral and written.
For more information about the position please contact:
* Khalil Sima’an <mailto:k.simaan at uva.nl>
The full-time appointment (38 hours per week) will be on a temporary basis, initially for one year with an extension for another year on positive evaluation.
Depending on experience, the gross monthly salary will range from €3,044 in the first year to €3,996 (scale 10), excl. 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% annual bonus TheCollective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities<http://www.vsnu.nl/en_GB/cao-universiteiten.html> is applicable.
Applications ( single PDF file ) should consist of:
* a brief letter of motivation;
* a detailed curriculum vitae;
* a list of publications;
* the names and contact details of three academic referees, and
* a link to a website with an online version of the PhD thesis and
relevant publications (e.g., your professional homepage).
NB: Do not include articles or thesis in your application.
_Completed applications should be submitted by 15 May 2016 to _Khalil Simaan <mailto:k.simaan at uva.nl>_ and should state your name and vacancy number 16-126 in the subject field._
/No agencies please/
-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 14117 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20160330/2a917afb/attachment.txt>