[Corpora-List] I Annotate 2016 (Berlin, May 19/20): Call for (short) submissions and participation

Georg Rehm georg.rehm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 08:34:06 CET 2016

*I Annotate 2016*

May 19th–20th Venue: Microsoft Berlin, Unter den Linden 17, Berlin, Germany

Register now at http://iannotate.org

We’d like to invite you to join us for the fourth annual I Annotate conference and our very first in Europe! There is no charge to register, but space is limited.

We’re looking for proposals for talks and demonstrations by speakers engaged with the idea of web annotation, either as organizations, users or developers. Proposals, of at least a paragraph and no greater than 1 page in length, should be submitted via email to abstracts at hypothes.is by March 13th. The Program Committee will let you know by March 21st whether your talk has been accepted or not. For questions email info at iannotate.org

Web Annotation continues to gain traction as a compelling collaborative activity with a diverse range of uses and users that will take society substantially forward. I Annotate 2016 will focus particularly on the vision of an interoperable annotation fabric that can serve diverse use cases and the challenges, technologies, standards, best practices, integrations and other elements necessary to accelerate its adoption as a powerful new paradigm. This year, our first in Europe, we’ll focus on bringing annotation to the larger international community, and building these relationships and networks across the annotation ecosystem.

Again this year the W3C Web Annotation Working Group will host their semi-annual face to face on the days preceding I Annotate, for members and invited guests. If you’re interested in attending please let us know.

We will also host a day long hack event directly following the conference on Saturday, May 21. Please join us if you’re working on an annotation project, just getting started, or are interested in helping or receiving help from others.

This year's event will take place in the Microsoft Atrium, Berlin. Located at Unter den Linden 17, at the corner of Charlottenstraße, the historic building is one of the few well-preserved houses in Berlin Mitte from the previous turn of the century. The venue is centrally located and is easily accessible by public transport. Food will be provided for all attendees on both days.

We believe web annotation is a unique new capability that has the potential to radically transform the Web and the way we use it – in ways that empower each of us to extend our reach, communicating and sharing across the globe. We hope to see you there. Feel free to share this email with anyone you think might be interested in attending.

Your hosts thank Microsoft Berlin for providing a fantastic venue for this year’s event! If you are also interested in being a sponsor, please contact us at info at iannotate.org.

Conference Schedule:

Wednesday, May 18 – I Annotate Kickoff Happy Hour (venue TBA), 6pm Thursday, May 19 – I Annotate 2016 Conference, Microsoft Berlin, Unter den Linden, 9am - 5pm Friday, May 20 – I Annotate 2016 Conference, Microsoft Berlin, Unter den Linden, 9 am - 5pm Saturday, May 21 – Hack Day (venue TBA)

Programme Committee:

Maryann Martone, Hypothes.is Georg Rehm, DFKI and W3C German/Austrian Office Dan Whaley, Hypothes.is Antoine Isaac, Europeana Daniel O'Donnell, University of Lethbridge Andreas Witt, Institute for the German Language and University of Heidelberg Kyrce Swenson, Pearson Christina Hoppermann, Springer Paolo Ciccarese, Harvard Medical School Tzviya Siegman, Wiley Rob Sanderson, Stanford University Libraries -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 4416 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20160304/4aa802d1/attachment.txt>