[Corpora-List] What's best practice for publishing your research results (corpus data) online?

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Jun 13 20:17:00 CEST 2016

On 2016-06-13 13:35, Matías Guzmán Naranjo wrote:
> Yes.

And more specifically, the copyright holders.

For the Igbo Bible, the Igbo New Testament was first published in 1900, and the entire Bible in 1906. Unless I'm mistaken, those are now out of copyright. But there have probably been revised versions published since then, which may still be under copyright. You'd need to find out which version you have.

The 1906 Bible was obviously a print copy. I'm not sure whether the on-line version you found was just images of this print copy, or digitized from this print copy; if it was digitized, then it's conceivable that the digitizer might claim some copyright over the work of digitization. I don't believe that digitization creates a derivative work for purposes of copyright, but I am not a lawyer. And of course if the digitized version you found was from a more recent translation, then that's a different story--the original copyright may still hold.

Mike Maxwell