Please, find enclosed the announcement of the 15th International Symposium on Social Communication, Eloina Miyares Bermudez in Memoriam.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you in Santiago de Cuba.
Dr. Leonel Ruiz Miyares President of the Organizing Committee Centro de Linguistica Aplicada Ministerio de Ciencia, Tecnologia y Medio Ambiente Calle 9 Nr. 253 entre 10 y 12. Vista Alegre Santiago de Cuba 4, Cuba, C.P. 90400 Telephones: 53-22-646390; 53-22-656141, ext. 102 E-mail: simposio at cla.ciges.inf.cu
Web site of our International Symposiums on Social Communication: http://www.cla.cu/simposio/index.php?id=en
Web site of the Centre for Applied Linguistics: http://www.cla.cu/en
Web site of our Basic School Dictionary: http://ixa2.si.ehu.es/dbe/index.html
[To spread, please, thank you. Apologies if you receive this announcement more than once.]
FIFTEENTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON SOCIAL COMMUNICATION Eloina Miyares Bermudez in Memoriam
CENTRE FOR APPLIED LINGUISTICS
SANTIAGO DE CUBA, JANUARY 23-27, 2017
The Centre for Applied Linguistics of the Santiago de Cuba’s branch of the Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment, is pleased to announce the Fifteenth International Symposium on Social Communication, Eloina Miyares Bermudez in Memoriam, dedicated, as the title says, to the prestigious Cuban linguist, Eloina Miyares Bermudez, one of the founders of this symposium.
The event will be held in Santiago de Cuba, January 23 through the 27, 2017. This interdisci- plinary event will focus on social communication processes from the points of view of Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Medicine, Mass Media, and Art, Ethnology and Folklore.
During the Symposium will take place a workshop on Corpus Linguistics.
The Symposium will be also sponsored by:
. University of Oriente, Santiago de Cuba,
. Provincial Branch of Writers and Artists
Association of Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
. African Cultural Centre "Fernando Ortiz"
Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
. University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
. Basque Country University
. Semantic Technology Institute (STI)
University of Innsbruck
. Centre of Lexicography
Aarhus University, Denmark
. University of Würzburg
. Centre Tesnière
Universite de Franche-Comté
. University of La Serena
La Serena, Chile
. TALP Research Center
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
. Latino Education and Advocacy Days Organization (LEAD)
California State University
San Bernardino, USA
. American Pragmatics Association, USA
Authors will be allowed to present only one paper pertaining to the following disciplines:
- Applied Linguistics - Phonetics and Phonology - Lexicology and Lexicography - Quantitative Linguistics - Morphology and Syntax - Anthropology Linguistics or Ethnolinguistics - Textual Linguistics and Pragmalinguistics - Sociolinguistics - Spanish and foreign language teaching - Spanish as a second language - Terminology - Translations - Linguistics Rights - Linguistics Policy
2. Computational Linguistics:
- Software related to linguistics research - Automated grammatical tagging of texts - Electronic dictionaries - Software related to the teaching
of mother tongues and foreign languages - Information extraction and its applications - Speech recognition and synthesis - Related issues
3. Medical specialties related to speech and voice and with Social Communication in general:
- Logopedy and Phoniatry - Neurology - Otorhinolaryngology - Stomatology
4. Mass Media:
- Linguistics research related to the
speech of journalists, actors and
radio and television announcers - Textual Analysis of radio and
television programs, and of print
and electronic media articles
5. Art, Ethnology and Folklore:
- Research related to Social Communication
Activities that will take place within the event are:
- Pre-Symposium seminars - Keynote speeches - Discussion of papers in commissions - Books presentation - Cultural activities
The Symposium will be preceded by three seminars that will be taught by prestigious specialists:
"Who, what, when, where: automatic tagging of semantic roles in the language processing" Dr. Olatz Arregi Uriarte iXa Group Basque Country University
"Argumentative Ecology: from inferences to speech density" Dr. Cristian Noemi Padilla University of La Serena La Serena, Chile
"FreeLing 4.0 uncovered: Advanced use of the library" Dr. Lluis Padro TALP Research Center Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya
The seminars will take place Monday, January 23th, 2017.
Participants should say in advance what pre-symposium seminars they want to take part in. An additional fee of 25.00 Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC) will be charged for each seminar. Participation certificates will be available.
During the symposium several keynote speeches will be delivered. Until now are confirmed:
Prof. Dr. Concepcion Maldonado SM Editions Complutense University of Madrid Madrid, Spain
Prof. Dr. Gema Valdes University Central de Las Villas Villa Clara, Cuba
Prof. Dr. Anton Nijholt Twente University Enschede, The Netherlands
Prof. Dr. Sylviane Cardey Centre Tesnière Universite de Franche-Comte Besançon, France
The deadline of submission of papers is July 1st, 2016. The papers should not exceed 5 pages. Notification of acceptance of a paper by the Symposium’s Scientific Committee will be sent before July 31st, 2016.
To enable the Organizing Committee to include the Proceedings as part of the Symposium’s documentation -as we did since 1997-, accepted papers must be sent before August 15, 2016 if the Scientific Committee had done some observations.
Requirements for papers:
1. The paper will not exceed 5 pages including graphics, footnotes and bibliography.
2. It should be written using Word 6.0 or Word 7.0 for Windows and sent to the Symposium’s address: simposio at cla.ciges.inf.cu as attached file.
3. Each page must be written in an A4 format with left, right, top, and bottom margin of 2.5 cm.
4. The paper must be written in one of the event’s official languages: Spanish, English, French or Portuguese.
5. The pages of the text should be unnumered.
Instructions for paper submission:
1. Write down the authors' names, one under the other, at the left top of the first page, all in Arial bold capital letters, 9 points (Word 6.0 or 7.0). Under the author's name(s) should appear in bold (only initials capital letters) the institution, city, country and e-mail address.
2. In a separate line, at the center, the title of the paper must be written in Arial bold, italics, 10 points size letters.
3. The text will follow -not in bold- with the same Arial letter, 9 points size and leaving one space between lines.
4. Paragraphs will have no indentation. Spaces between paragraphs will be of 1.5 points.
5. Section titles will be written in Arial bold, 9 points size and sub-sections titles will be written in Arial Italic, 8 points size.
6. Footnotes will appear at the end of each page in Arial 8 points size letters.
Presentation time will be 15 minutes.
OFFICIAL LANGUAGES: Spanish, English, French and Portuguese
Speakers and Delegates 200.00 CUC (Cuban Convertible Pesos)
Companions 100.00 CUC (Cuban Convertible Pesos)
Payment of the fee must be sent via bank transfer to the bank account to be announce opportunely and it covers a copy of the Proceedings where your paper is printed, all other documentation related to the event, speaker’s certificate, welcome cocktail and other cultural activities. Companions will have access to all of the above, except copies of the Proceedings.
The Organizing Committee guarantees accommodation in 3, 4, and 5 star hotels with preferential prices for participants in the event.
- Papers submission deadline:
July 1st, 2016
- Notification on paper’s
approval by Scientific Committee:
by July 31st, 2016
- Delivery of papers by e-mail:
August 15, 2016 (in case of the
observations done by the Scientific
- Pre-Symposium seminars:
January 23, 2017
- 15th International Symposium on
Social Communication, Eloina Miyares
Bermudez in Memoriam:
January 23 through 27, 2017
OTHER ASPECTS OF INTEREST
Santiago de Cuba, located at some 900 km from Havana, is Cuba's second largest city. Its economic, cultural and social importance in Cuban history is unquestionable. Santiago is also the capital of the province with the same name. Surrounded by the green mountains of the Sierra Maestra range and the Caribbean Sea, Santiago is unique in its geography and beautiful landscape. Its surroundings make the city one of the most important tourist attractions on the entire island. The Organizing Committee, in coordination with the city's tourist agencies will offer visiting delegates a host of options allowing participants to enjoy the city's beauty and charm.
SCIENTIFIC AND ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
Zelma Corona Ochoa Representative of the Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Vitelio Ruiz Hernandez Emeritus Academic Academy of Science of Cuba Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Leonel Ruiz Miyares Director of Centre for Applied Linguistics President of the Organizing Committee 15th International Symposium on Social Communication Eloina Miyares Bermudez in Memoriam Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Alex Munnoz Alvarado Investigador Centro de Linguistica Aplicada Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Mileidis Quintana Polanco Researcher Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Daileen Jackson Rodriguez Researcher Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Williams Barrera Silega Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Javier Tamayo Lozada Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Martha Cordies Jackson Director and Researcher African Cultural Centre "Fernando Ortiz" Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
Anton Nijholt Professor and Researcher Twente University Enschede, The Netherlands
Sylviane Cardey Professor and Researcher Centre Tesnière Université de Franche-Comté Besançon, France
Kathleen Wermke Professor and Researcher University of Würzburg Würzburg, Germany
Arantza Diaz de Ilarraza Professor and Researcher Basque Country University Spain
Innaki Alegría Loinaz Professor and Researcher Basque Country University Spain
Xabier Artola Zubillaga Professor and Researcher Basque Country University Spain
Xabier Arregi Iparragirre Professor and Researcher Basque Country University Spain
Dieter Fensel Director and Researcher Semantic Technology Institute (STI) Innsbruck, Austria
Lucia Marconi Researcher Institute for Computational Linguistics Chapter Genoa, Italy
Paola Cutugno Researcher Institute for Computational Linguistics Chapter Genoa, Italy
Luis Alfonso Urenna Lopez President of the NLP Spanish Association (SEPLN) Jaen University Jaen, Spain
Angel Maqueira Aroche Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Fidelia Pozo Pozo Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Maria Rosa Alvarez Silva Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Mayte Dieguez Maurant Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Rolando Urrutia Cleger Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
FIFTEENTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON SOCIAL COMMUNICATION Eloina Miyares Bermudez in Memoriam
Paper title: __________________________