[Corpora-List] How many words do we know?

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Fri Jul 29 20:32:09 CEST 2016

On 7/29/2016 12:03 PM, Marc Brysbaert wrote:
> Importantly, knowing more than one language has a beneficial effect,
> not a negative effect.

Anecdotal evidence: As a child, I was bilingual in English and Polish. Learning Polish (from my maternal grandmother, AKA Babcia) took a minimal amount of time from my exposure to English.

But it did have a strong influence on acquiring vocabulary items by semantic associations, not by spelling associations. It also gave me more sensitivity to learning roots and constructions in other languages.

One deficiency: I never had much interest in word games that depend on spelling, such as Scrabble, cross-word puzzles, etc.

That might be a research topic: For speakers with comparable vocabulary size, what is the effect of bilingualism on speed in solving crossword puzzles?

John