[Corpora-List] Call for Participation - DSL Shared Task 2016

Marcos Zampieri marcos.zampieri at uni-saarland.de
Sat Jul 23 23:08:21 CEST 2016

Call for Participation

DSL Shared Task 2016: http://ttg.uni-saarland.de/vardial2016/dsl2016.html VarDial 2016: http://ttg.uni-saarland.de/vardial2016/

We are organizing the third edition of the Discriminating between Similar Languages (DSL) shared task at the VarDial workshop co-located with COLING 2016. To participate please complete the registration form available in the shared task website.

In the DSL shared task participants train systems to discriminate between similar languages, language varieties, and dialects. This year we are dividing the DSL Shared Task into two sub-tasks.

1) Sub-task 1: Discriminating between similar languages and national language varieties.

Languages Included: - Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian - Malay and Indonesian - Portuguese: Brazil and Portugal - Spanish: Argentina, Mexico, and Spain - French: France and Canada

Two test sets:

Test set A (in-domain): newspaper texts. Test set B (out-of-domain): social media data.

2) Sub-task 2: Arabic dialect identification.

This year, for the first time we are including a sub-task on Arabic dialect identification. As dialects are mostly used in conversational speech, in sub-task 2 we will provide a dataset containing ASR transcripts.

We will release training and testing data for the following Arabic dialects: Egyptian, Gulf, Levantine, and North-African, and Modern Standard Arabic (MSA)

Test set C: ASR texts from Arabic dialects.

Submissions

After the shared task participants will be invited to submit a paper to the VarDial workshop describing their findings (8 pages + 2 for references). Submissions should be formatted according to the COLING template.

Dates

- Training set release: August 2nd, 2016 - Test set release: August 29th, 2016 - Results submission due: August 31st, 2016 - Results announced: September 2nd, 2016 - Paper submission deadline: September 28th, 2016 - Acceptance Notification: October 14th, 2016 - Camera-ready versions: October 30th, 2016

DSL Shared Task Organizers

Marcos Zampieri (Saarland University and DFKI, Germany) Preslav Nakov (Qatar Computing Research Institute, Qatar) Shervin Malmasi (Harvard Medical School, United States) Liling Tan (Saarland University, Germany) Nikola Ljubešić (Jozef Stefan Institute, Slovenia and University of Zagreb, Croatia) Jörg Tiedemann (University of Helsinki, Finland) Ahmed Ali (Qatar Computing Research Institute, Qatar) -- Marcos Zampieri Applied Linguistics, Translation and Interpreting Saarland University http://www.marcoszampieri.com