[Corpora-List] Recording native speakers of British English in London

Nele Pöldvere nele.poldvere at englund.lu.se
Mon Sep 28 09:25:47 CEST 2015

Dear All,

I am a PhD student from Lund University and I have embarked on a journey to compile a new corpus of spoken British English, comparable to the London-Lund Corpus. My goal is to be able to track changes in British English over the past 50 years and to provide resources for studying the English language.

I am based at the Survey of English Usage at University College London until December 2015 where I will be recording naturally occurring language in both academic and non-academic settings. Academic settings include classroom interaction, meetings with students and staff, and casual conversations in common rooms. Non-academic settings include dinner table conversations at people’s homes, and other conversations with friends, family and acquaintances outside of the university.

I am looking for people willing to be recorded for the corpus in one or more of the above-mentioned speech situations in various places in London. Apart from the presence of a small and unobtrusive recording device, your classes, meetings or conversations will not be affected in any way. You will, however, be asked to sign a consent form and fill in a short questionnaire.

So if you are a native speaker of British English and you are not recorder or camera shy, or you just wish to know more about the project, please contact Nele Põldvere at nele.poldvere at englund.lu.se.

Even though the only thing I can give you in return is a warm smile and a big thank you, I hope that you will consider contributing to the successful compilation of the corpus and to facilitating research in the field of language variation and change.

Thank you in advance!

Best, Nele Põldvere

Nele Põldvere PhD Candidate English Studies Centre for Languages and Literature Lund University Box 201, 221 00 Lund

http://www.sol.lu.se/en/person/NelePoidvere -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 3071 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20150928/cc72e33b/attachment.txt>