[Corpora-List] Is Language Identification Really Solved?

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Jun 29 05:39:34 CEST 2015

On 6/26/2015 4:09 AM, liling tan wrote:
> *How much a misconception is language identification a "solved task"?*.
> 5 years ago, there was some discussion: http://goo.gl/vB4CVb
> Most recent, Discriminating between Similar Languages (DSL) Shared Task
> also shows that what we know about language ID is still far from
> perfect: https://goo.gl/PBtXjd

Perfect is a pretty high standard. At any rate, you might have a look at this:

http://indigenoustweets.blogspot.com/2011/12/1000-languages-on-web.html

BTW, IMO it would be better not to use URL shorteners (like goo.gl) in emails. Many people--myself included--will be hesitant to click on such things. --

Mike Maxwell

maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu

"I cannot believe that our existence in this universe

is a mere quirk of fate, an accident of history, an

incidental blip in the great cosmic drama. Our

involvement is too intimate. The physical species

Homo may count for nothing, but the existence of

mind in some organism on some planet in the universe

is surely a fact of fundamental significance. Through

conscious beings the universe has generated

self-awareness." --Paul Davies