[Corpora-List] Student contest: Babel Young Writers' Competition

Tristan Miller miller at ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Jun 17 17:38:06 CEST 2015

Dear all,

Below is a call for submissions to our magazine's contest for student writers. Contributions from undergraduate students of computational linguistics are most welcome.

Regards, Tristan Miller Babel Advisory Panel

-------------

This year, Babel: The Language Magazine <http://www.babelzine.com/> is celebrating young linguists' insights into language with our Babel Young Writers' Competition. We will be publishing two special articles by 16–18-year-old and undergraduate writers in Issue 13, due out on November 2015. If you are a keen Babel reader or language lover, get writing to be in with a chance to get yourself published – as well as a free subscription to Babel 2016!

We have been delighted by previous articles by young linguists Kateryna Pavliuk (on British Sign Language, Babel № 4) and Niamh Mulholland (on Konglish, Babel № 8). In recognition of young writers' talents, this year we are inviting contributions from two age groups:

16–18 Competition: Are you aged between 16 and 18 and would like to share your love of language with the world? Send us an article on any topic to do with language and linguistics to win the chance to begin your publishing career!

Undergraduate Competition: Are you studying for a linguistics-related degree and fancy a break from your usual assignments? Write a special essay for Babel readers and get the fruits of your hard studying published!

Entries must be no longer than 2500 words, in English, and deal with an interesting and accessible topic to do with language. Please e-mail your entry to editors at babelzine.com with the title "16–18 Competition" or "Undergraduate Competition".

16–18 Competition entrants must provide details of their institution and a teacher.

Undergraduate Competition winners must submit their entries from their university e-mail address (e.g. student at uni.ac.uk) and provide their university's address.

The deadline for entries is Friday 31st August 2015. We will acknowledge receipt of your entry soon after receiving it, and announce the winners in October 2015. Good luck!

-- Tristan Miller, Research Scientist Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab (UKP-TUDA) Department of Computer Science, Technische Universitšt Darmstadt Tel: +49 6151 16 6166 | Web: http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: signature.asc Type: application/pgp-signature Size: 819 bytes Desc: OpenPGP digital signature URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20150617/a32bb6c0/attachment.asc>