[Corpora-List] Pop Lyrics Corpus

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Wed Jun 3 17:51:18 CEST 2015

Hi John As I emphasized, my concerns were focussed on advising students' research, and therefore the issue is less about the national laws, than the academic institutions' research ethics committees' interpretation of those laws...

Here is an example from the ESRC in UK, whose website http://www.esrc.ac.uk/about-esrc/information/framework-for-research-ethics/index.aspx?esrc%20ethics%20framework states that it is the "principal funding agency for UK social science research" and that "The Framework for Research Ethics was introduced in 2006. Since then we have only funded research where consideration has been given to ethical implications and in those research organisations where appropriate arrangements are in place. The Framework therefore has implications for applicants to ESRC and their research teams, research organisations and research ethics committees, for those assessing research proposals and for research participants."

The MRC (for medicine) and all other research funders have similar - indeed even more rigorously scrutinized - procedures in place, as human lives are more often at stake in health-related fields...

Every university in the UK will therefore have its own Ethics Committees in place, who work in liaison with their Legal Departments. You can easily find their Research Ethics Procedures by visiting any UK university's website. But I doubt that any of them will quote one specific Law, as many different laws always overlap on every sphere of human activity.

Here is an extract from the 2015 edition of the ESRC Framework that relates to my concerns: (the whole text is 51 pages - so I have not read every word of it myself, but merely used the PDF 'find' function to locate this section) pp23-24: "Legal requirements ROs should comply with all relevant legal requirements and with the requirements of data custodians. The regulatory requirements which apply may vary depending on the locus of data collection, the location of the subjects of the research, where data are held, and the nature of the research involved. Privacy, health and safety, and intellectual property are especially likely to arise as ethics concerns in research, but all legal requirements should be met. In addition, careful consideration is needed in regard to the ethics implications that might be associated with the re-use and re-purposing of data. Where a principal investigator confirms that a full ethics review is not required, the research will still need to adhere to professional codes of practice, legal requirements and compliance with the Data Protection Act, 1998."

I have been compiling corpora since 1990, starting with the Bank of English at Birmingham University, and retired in 2011, so it is possible that my views and experience may be regarded as "old school" by more recent corpus compilers.

But, for example in 1999, when I compiled the WBE corpus for ELRA (http://catalog.elra.info/product_info.php?products_id=627), they required me to obtain signed and dated hardcopy permissions from senior executives at all the organisations whose websites we obtained the corpus data from.

No doubt your own organisation has a legal department who can inform you better on the commercial aspects of IPR legislation worldwide?

best wishes ramesh

---- Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 19:42:03 +0000 From: "Burger, John D." <john at mitre.org> Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] Pop Lyrics Corpus To: "Corpora at uib.no" <Corpora at uib.no>

Most online discussions of copyright quickly devolve into vague conversations like this.

Can anyone delineate exactly what the concern over copyright is here, by pointing to a SPECIFIC law in a SPECIFIC country that might be broken? Thanks.

- John Burger

MITRE ---