[Corpora-List] New Book: Element of Structural Syntax by Lucien Tesnière

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Sat Feb 28 17:35:02 CET 2015

On 2/28/2015 9:48 AM, Sylvain Kahane wrote:
> We are happy to announce the translation in English of a classic
> of linguistics.

Thank you for a long-overdue translation. To emphasize its continuing relevance, I'd like to cite articles by each of the translators:

"Why to choose dependency rather than constituency for syntax: a formal point of view" by Sylvain Kahane http://www.kahane.fr/component/docman/doc_download/117-dependency-festchrift2012.html?Itemid=126

"A Look at Tesnière’s Éléments through the Lens of Modern Syntactic Theory" by Timothy Osborne http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/W13-3729

In an article on semantic networks for Wiley’s Encyclopedia of AI, I discussed Tesnière’s influence and redrew one of his diagrams as Figure 7 of http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/semnet.htm

John