[Corpora-List] An ignorant question concerning the basics of statistical significance > REPRESENTATIVENESS

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Tue Feb 3 21:06:08 CET 2015

Thanks for your response, Tony. Sorry, but some handwringing is definitely due here.

I've actually been fighting with sociologists and epidemiologists over their notions of representativeness in an area that affects me personally (transgender studies). These social scientists practice almost no representative sampling, but rather than stick to qualitative, existential observations, they simply collect quantitative data ad hoc and pretend that it can be generalized to entire populations (with a disclaimer that is universally ignored). This has clear and demonstrable negative effects.

I think that kind of hand-/waving/ is a horrible example to emulate, and I want no part of it. However, I think Chris Brew made a good point, and I will address it in a separate message.

--

-Angus B. Grieve-Smith

grvsmth at panix.com

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 2800 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20150203/a27e5fb1/attachment.txt>