[Corpora-List] An ignorant question concerning the basics of statistical significance > REPRESENTATIVENESS

Mcenery, Tony a.mcenery at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Feb 3 17:57:17 CET 2015

Angus, as a P.S., a book I rather like, with a nice chapter on corpus construction in it by Bauer and Aarts is:

Bauer M & G Gaskell (2000) Qualitative researching with text, image and sound: a practical handbook. London, Sage

Worth a look. Best,

Tony

________________________________ From: corpora-bounces at uib.no [corpora-bounces at uib.no] on behalf of Angus Grieve-Smith [grvsmth at panix.com] Sent: 03 February 2015 16:09 To: corpora at uib.no Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] An ignorant question concerning the basics of statistical significance > REPRESENTATIVENESS

That begs the question of what an adequate way of estimating language usage might be. Is there a way to do it at all?

If not, we should be pushing back harder on editors and reviewers who want to see p-values.