[Corpora-List] An ignorant question concerning the basics of statistical significance > REPRESENTATIVENESS

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 3 17:10:49 CET 2015

Hi Ramesh

Hear hear!

However, just for the record, I don't think the BNC ever claimed to be representative of language usage as a whole. Its design principles, as I understood them at least, were chiefly to give "equal time" to as much of possible of the discernible varieties of late 20th c. English, impressionistically defined, and within the bounds of what was economically feasible at the time. Which is clearly not the same thing at all.

Lou