[Corpora-List] An ignorant question concerning the basics of statistical significance > REPRESENTATIVENESS

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Tue Feb 3 16:52:26 CET 2015

Hi Angus

As we have no adequate way of estimating language usage, and corpora are samples of language usage, is there any point in discussing 'representativeness' again?

Or has there been an advance in estimating language usage in the past 30 years that I am unaware of?

best ramesh -------- Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 22:40:04 -0500 From: Angus Grieve-Smith <grvsmth at panix.com> Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] An ignorant question concerning the basics

of statistical significance To: corpora at uib.no

I know that David Lee had problems with the representativeness of the BNC, but I believe that Tony McEnery, at least, is on the list, so he can maybe tell us more about why the BNC is representative, and of what. ...