[Corpora-List] A list of German N+N compounds and Licensing Questions

Lluís Padró padro at cs.upc.edu
Wed Aug 26 15:31:59 CEST 2015

As with any other linguistic resource (e.g. a lexicon), licensing your list doesn't mean you own the words in it (they belong to the language and its speakers), you just own the resource itself, that is, the compilation of the list and its encoding in electronic or paper support.

So, if you created the list yourself, you own the copyright (i.e. the right to establish under which terms the list can be copied and reused). You do not owe copyright for the words you heard or read somewhere, because they are part of the language. Your work is compiling them, not creating them. So, you can claim rights on the list itself, but not in the individual words it contais.

If you want to release your list under an open source license, I recommend you have a look at Creative Commons licenses : www.creativecommons.org

Other possiblities are:

http://www.cnrtl.fr/lexiques/prolex/licence_lgpl-lr.php

http://www.cecill.info/licences/Licence_CeCILL-C_V1-en.html