[Corpora-List] A list of German N+N compounds and Licensing Questions

Richard Eckart de Castilho eckart at ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Aug 26 15:28:46 CEST 2015

Dear Liling,

before asking who owns the copyright on a list of words, the question might be whether a plain list of words that is not accompanied by descriptions and that does not form a text is copyrightable at all.

For example, you might find this article interesting

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/gaming/2014/09/major_scrabble_brouhaha_can_you_copyright_a_list_of_words.html

For a dependable answer, seeking legal advice from a copyright attorney would be the best option.

Mind that copyright and fair use laws also differ between different countries.

I am not a lawyer and this is no legal advice

Best,

-- Richard

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------- Dr. Richard Eckart de Castilho Technical Lead Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing (UKP) Lab FB 20 / Computer Science Department Technische Universitšt Darmstadt Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany phone [+49] (0)6151 16-7477, fax -5455, room S2/02/B117 eckart at ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de

Web Research at TU Darmstadt (WeRC): www.werc.tu-darmstadt.de GRK 1994: Adaptive Preparation of Information from Heterogeneous Sources (AIPHES): www.aiphes.tu-darmstadt.de PhD program: Knowledge Discovery in Scientific Literature (KDSL) www.kdsl.tu-darmstadt.de -------------------------------------------------------------------