[Corpora-List] Coefficients in SVM models

Ken Litkowski ken at clres.com
Thu Aug 20 20:36:23 CEST 2015

Are there any methods in computational linguistics for interpreting the coefficients in SVM models? I have 120 nice preposition disambiguation models developed using the Tratz-Hovy parser, with an average of about 15,000 features for each preposition. I'd like to identify the significant features (hopefully lexicographically salient). One such method (implemented in Weka) is to square the coefficients and to use this as the basis for ranking the features (the source of this method being a classic study by Guyon et al., 2002, in gene selection for cancer classification using support vector machines <http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1012487302797>). I'm extending these models (which make heavy use of WN) with other lexical resources, including FN, VN, and CPA. This will make the feature space even more hyperdimensional, so I'd like to pare them back in a principled way so I can see the potential contribution of these other resources.

Thanks,

Ken

-- Ken Litkowski TEL.: 301-482-0237 CL Research EMAIL: ken at clres.com 9208 Gue Road Home Page: http://www.clres.com Damascus, MD 20872-1025 USA Blog: http://www.clres.com/blog

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 1784 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20150820/15393f1a/attachment.txt>