[Corpora-List] Funded PhD positions in biomedical natural language processing at U. Colorado School of Medicine

Kevin B. Cohen kevin.cohen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 23:16:32 CEST 2014

The PhD Training Program in Computational Bioscience at the University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus, is accepting applications for funded PhD student positions for the coming academic year.

Our graduate student and post-doctoral fellow training program is funded by the National Library of Medicine, allowing us to provide generous fellowships, including tuition, travel, equipment, and other benefits for qualified trainees. We are currently recruiting Ph.D. students and postdoctoral fellows for Fall 2015. In particular, we are looking for students

with strong computational backgrounds interested in a career in biomedical natural language processing and bioinformatics.

Specialties of our program include natural language processing, text mining, and computational linguistics. Our faculty are active in the areas of information extraction, named entity recognition and concept normalization, corpus linguistics, information retrieval, question-answering, computational lexical semantics, document classification, and software engineering for natural language processing. Application areas include epilepsy, spinal cord injury, suicide prevention, and high-throughput assay analysis. Students in the program have the opportunity to do rotations with leading researchers in the field of biomedical natural language processing, including Kevin Cohen, Larry Hunter, Martha Palmer (U. Colorado Boulder campus), and James Martin (U. Colorado Boulder campus).

Our program focuses on giving students a strong background in biology and computational bioscience, enabling them to approach the biomedical literature and clinical texts as near-"native speakers." To that end, the first year of graduate education includes one semester of an intensive course in biology and two semesters of computational bioscience. Our students have a tradition of outstanding accomplishments, including publications in leading journals and presentations at key conferences. All of our graduates have gone on to productive careers in bioinformatics, ranging across academic, government, and industrial institutions.

For more information about the program, please visit the Program's website at http://compbio*.ucdenver.edu <http://ucdenver.edu>,* where you can further explore our program and application materials can be located. Also feel free to contact Kevin Cohen at kevin.cohen at ucdenver.edu, Larry Hunter at larry.hunter at ucdenver.edu, or Elizabeth Wethington, graduate program coordinator, at elizabeth.wethington at ucdenver.edu.

The Fall 2015 application deadline is December 1, 2014.

-- Kevin Bretonnel Cohen, PhD Biomedical Text Mining Group Lead, Computational Bioscience Program, U. Colorado School of Medicine 303-916-2417 http://compbio.ucdenver.edu/Hunter_lab/Cohen -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 8978 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20141023/f37b7626/attachment.txt>