[Corpora-List] Question about available corpora of spoken British English

Darren Cook darren at dcook.org
Mon Oct 20 12:44:06 CEST 2014

> I am a first-year doctoral student of English linguistics at Lund
> University, Sweden, and I seeking help regarding available corpora of
> present-day spoken British English.

The below email was posted to this list on Jan 9th 2014. I don't know if they have released anything yet, though.

Darren

*We’re building a new British Spoken Corpus –*

*help us collect recordings!*

**

Cambridge University Press is currently running a project to provide a resource for linguistic research. We are collecting samples of current spoken British English which will be used to inform the development of teaching materials aimed at language learners.

The recordings will be transcribed and then added to our collection – the /Cambridge English Corpus./

We are interested in audio recordings of face-to-face conversations between people whose first language is British English. The recordings should be natural conversation (rather than, e.g., monologues or speeches) – some advice may be given on topics, but our focus is mainly on authentic conversational speech.

In order to participate, you should make your recording in a digital format (rather than on e.g., analogue tape players). For each hour of good quality recordings we receive, along with all associated consent forms and information sheets completed correctly, we will pay 18. (Each recording does not have to be 1 hour in length, you may submit two 30 minute recordings, or three 20 minute recordings, but for each hour in total, you will receive 18.)**

To register your interest in this project, and for further information, please contact corpus at cambridge.org <mailto:corpus at cambridge.org>

-- Darren Cook, Software Researcher/Developer My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!