[Corpora-List] Question about available corpora of spoken British English

Nele Pöldvere nele.poldvere at englund.lu.se
Mon Oct 20 04:08:05 CEST 2014

Dear list members,

I am a first-year doctoral student of English linguistics at Lund University, Sweden, and I seeking help regarding available corpora of present-day spoken British English.

For my PhD project, I am planning to work on epistemic and evidential first-person complement-taking predicates, such as I think, I believe, I guess, I reckon, etc. I am particularly interested in the development of these constructions in present-day spoken British English. At the moment I am working with the wonderful London-Lund Corpus (LLC), a spoken language corpus of British English recorded in the 1960s-1970s. However, I am having problems finding corpora representative of British English as it is spoken now, i.e. after the turn of the century, or even after the 2010s. This would then allow me to study change over a longer period of time than corpora, such as BNC and ICE-GB, would allow me to do.

Therefore, I am curious to know if there are any available corpora of British English compiled and recorded after the 2000s. I would be grateful for any feedback and suggestions regarding the matter.

Kind regards, Nele Põldvere

Nele Põldvere PhD Candidate English Studies Centre for Languages and Literature Lund University Box 201, 221 00 Lund

http://www.sol.lu.se/en/person/NelePoidvere -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 2386 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20141020/fbadad03/attachment.txt>