[Corpora-List] Bibliography and corpora regarding English linguistic features and readability

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Thu Mar 6 14:15:14 CET 2014

>> I have to investigate English texts and assess their readability through
their linguistic features. I am looking for bibliography pointers in those domains (linguistic features of English, readability assessment).

Jesse Egbert (http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/jae89/index.html) had a very nice PhD dissertation in Dec 2013 this looked at this in great detail, from the perspective of both reader ratings and detailed linguistic phenomena (a quasi-"Biberian" approach): "Reader Perspectives of Linguistic Variation in Published Academic Writing". (See also the top study at http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/jae89/page4.html) . The bibliography was extremely complete and up-to-date. You might check with him (Jesse.Egbert at nau.edu) for additional pointers.

Best,

Mark Davies

============================================ Mark Davies Professor of Linguistics / Brigham Young University http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases ** ** Historical linguistics // Language variation ** ** English, Spanish, and Portuguese ** ============================================

________________________________________ From: corpora-bounces at uib.no [corpora-bounces at uib.no] on behalf of Hugo Mougard [mog at crydee.eu] Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:56 AM To: corpora at uib.no Subject: [Corpora-List] Bibliography and corpora regarding English linguistic features and readability

Dear Corpora list,

I have to investigate English texts and assess their readability through their linguistic features. I am looking for bibliography pointers in those domains (linguistic features of English, readability assessment).

I would also appreciate any pointer towards corpora containing annotated English material of varying difficulty.

Thank you very much in advance for any element you will bring to the discussion.

Best, Hugo