[Corpora-List] learner corpora

Marcus Callies callies at uni-bremen.de
Thu Apr 24 16:07:24 CEST 2014

As a follow up to this thread, it seems to me that what is at issue here is not necessarily the native vs. non-native distinction but rather the difference between novice writers and expert writers. This issue is frequently discussed in the literature on learner corpora when it comes to the question of what is the appropriate basis/benchmark of comparison. As for academic writing, many native-speakers are 'learners', i.e. novice writers, just as the non-native speakers are learning to write academic texts.

As for learner corpora of academic writing, here in Bremen we're curently compiling a new Language-for-Specific-Purposes learner corpus, the Corpus of Academic Learner English (CALE) for the study of academic learner writing.

Please see

https://benjamins.com/#catalog/journals/dujal.2.1.11cal/details

and

http://www.advanced-learner-varieties.info

We're using parts of the MICUSP and the BAWE (native-speaker novice writers) for comparison to our learner data (non-native-speaker novice writers).

Best wishes Marcus Callies

Prof. Dr. Marcus Callies Universität Bremen FB 10 - Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaften English-Speaking Cultures - Arbeitsbereich Anglistik/Sprachwissenschaft Bibliothekstraße, Gebäude GW 2, Büro A 3400 28359 Bremen Tel.: +49-421-218-68150 http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~callies/

http://www.learnercorpusassociation.org/ https://benjamins.com/#catalog/journals/ijlcr/main