[Corpora-List] (New book) Cimiano etal: Ontology-Based Interpretation of Natural Language

Graeme Hirst gh at cs.toronto.edu
Mon Apr 21 00:55:38 CEST 2014

BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT

Ontology-Based Interpretation of Natural Language

by Philipp Cimiano, Christina Unger, and John McCrae (Semantic Computing Group, CITEC, Bielefeld University, Germany)

Synthesis Lectures on Human Language Technologies #24 (Morgan & Claypool Publishers), 2014, 178 pages

ABSTRACT:

For humans, understanding a natural language sentence or discourse is so effortless that we hardly ever think about it. For machines, however, the task of interpreting natural language, especially grasping meaning beyond the literal content, has proven extremely difficult and requires a large amount of background knowledge. This book focuses on the interpretation of natural language with respect to specific domain knowledge captured in ontologies. The main contribution is an approach that puts ontologies at the center of the interpretation process. This means that ontologies not only provide a formalization of domain knowledge necessary for interpretation but also support and guide the construction of meaning representations.

We start with an introduction to ontologies and demonstrate how linguistic information can be attached to them by means of the ontology lexicon model lemon. These lexica then serve as basis for the automatic generation of grammars, which we use to compositionally construct meaning representations that conform with the vocabulary of an underlying ontology. As a result, the level of representational granularity is not driven by language but by the semantic distinctions made in the underlying ontology and thus by distinctions that are relevant in the context of a particular domain. We highlight some of the challenges involved in the construction of ontology-based meaning representations, and show how ontologies can be exploited for ambiguity resolution and the interpretation of temporal expressions. Finally, we present a question answering system that combines all tools and techniques introduced throughout the book in a real-world application, and sketch how the presented approach can scale to larger, multi-domain scenarios in the context of the Semantic Web.

Table of Contents: List of Figures / Preface / Acknowledgments / Introduction / Ontologies / Linguistic Formalisms / Ontology Lexica / Grammar Generation / Putting Everything Together / Ontological Reasoning for Ambiguity Resolution / Temporal Interpretation / Ontology-Based Interpretation for Question Answering / Conclusion / Bibliography / Authors' Biographies

http://dx.doi.org/10.2200/S00561ED1V01Y201401HLT024

This title is available online without charge to members of institutions that have licensed the Synthesis Digital Library of Engineering and Computer Science. Members of licensing institutions have unlimited access to download, save, and print the PDF without restriction; use of the book as a course text is encouraged. To find out whether your institution is a subscriber, visit <http://www.morganclaypool.com/page/licensed>, or just click on the book's URL above from an institutional IP address and attempt to download the PDF. Others may purchase the book from this URL as a PDF download for US$30 or in print for US$40. Printed copies are also available from Amazon and from booksellers worldwide at approximately US$40 or local currency equivalent.