[Corpora-List] Corpus methods for prosodic analysis

Marcin Miłkowski list-address at wp.pl
Wed Apr 16 11:15:50 CEST 2014

W dniu 2014-04-16 08:35, Matías Guzmán Naranjo pisze:
> Dear all,
>
> I found a strong correlation between what seems are sentence boundaries
> (in this case marked as punctuation marks), and a particular
> morphological alternation. Now I want to actually check for prosodic
> patterns in an oral corpus and see whether the correlation is actually
> there or if it's just because of idiosyncrasies of how the transcriber
> annotated the corpus.
>
> My question is this, are there any techniques for doing this
> automatically? Something like say, manually splitting the audio files in
> the relevant text units, but automatically doing an F0 analysis, or
> something similar. Also, is there any previous research that does this?

Wouldn't simply a search for the particular alternation and a sentence boundary in another written corpus be enough to confirm this? You would have a different annotator. Just asking -- the correlation may be owing to the fact that this is a likely utterance ending.

Of course, the sentence ending in a written corpus may or may not correlate with prosody at the utterance ending. But this is another correlation, of sentence boundary annotation and prosody, not of morphological alternation and sentence boundary annotation, right? It may be evidence that the annotator was correct or not, but I'm not sure if that's what you're interested in.

HTH, Marcin