[Corpora-List] Categories of insults

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Apr 14 15:20:09 CEST 2014

On 4/14/2014 4:01 AM, Alexander Osherenko wrote:
> If you are looking for insult words, you can take these taboo words or you can
> collect words with high negative meaning from different corpora of affective
> words, for example, Whissell's Dictionary of Affective Language. Such affective
> words are simultaneously insult words.

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet insults that use what would otherwise be non-insult words, but where the entire cultural context implies something insulting:

three fries short of a happy meal

his elevator doesn't get to the top floor

the light's on, but no one's home

not the brightest bulb on the tree

not the sharpest knife in the drawer There are a more examples here:

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/a+few+fries+short+of+a+Happy+Meal

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=26589

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090301101956AAcWXQI --

Mike Maxwell

maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu

"My definition of an interesting universe is

one that has the capacity to study itself."

--Stephen Eastmond