[Corpora-List] Categories of insults

Jim Fidelholtz fidelholtz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 05:30:05 CEST 2014

Hi, All,

You might try _Anatomy of the dirty joke_ (2 vols.) by Gershon Legman for a thorough analysis of that topic. I don't remember if he gives (even implicitly) a categorization of 'offensive language', but you'd certainly get at least a lot of data. He collected another two volumes called (anonymously) _The limerick_, with, as I recall, about a thousand entries in each volume, of wildly varied quality,but, as limericks are wont to be, almost all at least moderately offensive. Likewise, you might look through the journal _Maledicta_ (started in the 70's) and other such journals, and check out books or articles on 'taboo' and related terms. You should also check out writings in the fields of Anthropology and Sociology on this and related topics, as well as handbooks and other general works in Anth., Soc., Linguistics, etc.

Jim

James L. Fidelholtz Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje Instituto de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, MÉXICO