[Corpora-List] "Cargo cult" NLP?

Noah A Smith nasmith at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 11 17:01:35 CEST 2014

> But there have also been cases where professors developed a
> "cottage industry" of getting their graduate students to prove
> lots of theorems whose conditions were seldom, if ever met
> in any actual application.

I understand and even share your impatience with theoretical work (that's one reason my work isn't very theoretical). What time limit shall we set on demonstrating usefulness of a theoretical idea in applications, and what punishment shall we impose on the offending researchers (beyond not using their useless, or not-yet-useful results)? -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 815 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20140411/56939173/attachment.txt>