[Corpora-List] "Cargo cult" NLP?

Phil Gooch philgooch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 08:00:48 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 11:01 PM, John F Sowa <sowa at bestweb.net> wrote:

> NLP is primarily a branch of engineering. The challenge for
> an engineer is not to get a better score on some "metric", but
> to solve a client's problem within the constraints of budgets,
> deadlines, and available resources.

I think this is very true. Some of the most successful NLP companies use quite simple techniques under the hood. Rule-based approaches (if well designed and modular) are popular with clients as they are easily understood and can be rapidly customised for a specific domain.

Phil -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 1015 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20140410/cbe4db58/attachment.txt>