[Corpora-List] IPCITI 2014 - International Postgraduate Conference in Translation and Interpreting

Sheila Castilho M de Sousa castils3 at mail.dcu.ie
Wed Apr 9 18:49:17 CEST 2014

*IPCITI** 2014* *10**th** Anniversary - International Postgraduate Conference in Translation and Interpreting*

*Intersect, Innovate, Interact*

*New Directions in Translation and Interpreting Studies*

*29-31 October 2014*

The IPCITI Conference is the result of a long-term collaboration between Dublin City University, Heriot-Watt University, the University of Edinburgh and the University of Manchester. IPCITI is designed to provide new researchers from all areas of translation and interpreting studies with the opportunity to share their research with peers in a supportive and intellectually stimulating environment. This year's conference will engage with existing and new perspectives and interactions within and beyond Translation and Interpreting studies that are shaping the future of the discipline. Following the success of the 9th IPCITI conference held at Heriot-Watt University, the University of Manchester is pleased to host the 10th anniversary conference which will take place from 29-31 October 2014.

*CALL FOR PAPERS AND POSTERS*

We particularly welcome abstracts which address (but need not be limited to) the following topics:

*Intersect*

In line with Maria Tymoczko's theorisation of translation as a 'cluster concept', it can be argued that Translation and Interpreting Studies is a discipline formed at the intersections, namely through its interplay with other subject areas. We are interested in the ever-evolving dialogical relationship between T&I Studies and:

- Intercultural Studies

- Sociology and Politics

- Media and Visual Studies

- Science and Technology

- Gender and Sexuality Studies

*Innovate*

With the explosion of social media since the inception of the IPCITI enterprise, it is vital to examine how new media and new technologies influence both how we interpret and translate on a practical level, and how we think about interpreting and translation on a conceptual level. We would like to consider how the discipline engages with:

- New media and technologies

- New theoretical frameworks

- New methodological approaches

- New challenges

*Interact*

Increasingly globalised, technology-driven societies are witnessing the emergence of new modes of translating and interpreting and, in parallel with this, an enlarged conception of who we consider as being translators and interpreters. Understanding the ways in which existing and emerging communities of translators and interpreters interact with one another (as well as with those who theorise on their activities) is crucial for the future of T&I studies. At the conference we would like to discuss the different modes of interaction between:

*Professional translators/ interpreters and volunteers (including activists, fansubbers, etc.) *Academics and translators/interpreters *The translator/interpreter and the 'self' (i.e. the growing acknowledgment of the role that the translator's/interpreter's own subjectivity plays in these forms of interlingual and intercultural mediation)

*INVITED CONFERENCE SPEAKERS*

*Keynote Speakers * Prof. Barbara Moser-Mercer (Université de Genève)

Dr. Sue-Ann Harding (Hamad Bin Khalifa University)

*Workshop Leaders* Dr. Rebecca Tipton (University of Manchester)

Dr. Gabriela Saldanha (University of Birmingham)

*ABSTRACT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES*

IPCITI 2014 welcomes abstracts for paper and poster presentations:

- *Papers* are allotted 20-minute slots to be followed by 10 minutes of

discussion (total 30 minutes each presenter).

- *Poster* presenters will be required to explain their research in a

more informal setting to small groups during our dedicated poster session.

Both paper and poster abstracts should be submitted in English and should not exceed 300 words.

*Abstracts should include:*

- The presenter's name

- The presenter's affiliation

- The presenter's academic status and current year of study

- Title for the paper/poster to be presented

- Three keywords that best encapsulate the content of the paper/poster

to be presented

- An indication of the theoretical framework and/or research methodology

employed or to be employed

- A brief summary of outcomes or pursued outcomes

*Please submit your abstract to: **abstracts.ipciti2014 at gmail.com*<abstracts.ipciti2014 at gmail.com>

*KEY DATES*

Abstract submission deadline: Wednesday 30 April 2014

Notification of acceptance: Friday 4 July 2014

Registration deadline: Friday 26 September 2014

*Information and Contact Details* Enquiries concerning the conference should be directed to: info.ipciti2014 at gmail.com Information on the University of Manchester: www.manchester.ac.uk General information on Manchester can be found at: www.visitmanchester.com Further information concerning accommodation and directions to the conference venue will be available shortly at: www.ipciti.org.uk -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 18704 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20140409/4d906ba6/attachment.txt>