[Corpora-List] "Cargo cult" NLP?

Noah A Smith nasmith at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Apr 9 03:59:57 CEST 2014

What are the "unknown ways" that one NLP researcher's conditions might differ from another NLP researcher's? If you're empirically measuring runtime, you might have a point. But if you're using a standardized dataset and automatic evaluation, it seems reasonable to report others' results for comparison. Since NLP is much more about methodology than scientific hypothesis testing, it's not clear what the "experimental control" should be. Is it really better to run your own implementation of the competing method? (Some reviewers would likely complain that you might not have replicated the method properly!) What about running the other researcher's code yourself? I don't think that's fundamentally different from reporting others' results, unless you don't trust what they report.

Must I reannotate a Penn Treebank-style corpus every time I want to build a new parser?

-- Noah Smith Associate Professor School of Computer Science Carnegie Mellon University