[Corpora-List] [Deadline extension and 2nd call for papers] 35th TABU Dag Conference

J.Bjerva j.bjerva at rug.nl
Wed Apr 2 14:13:00 CEST 2014

Call for papers

The Center for Language and Cognition Groningen is pleased to announce the 35th TABU Dag, which will take place at the University of Groningen on 12 and 13 June 2014. TABU Dag is an annual international linguistics conference, which offers excellent opportunities to meet other linguists and discuss current research. (Post)graduate students and postdoctoral researchers in particular are encouraged to present their work.

The confirmed keynote speakers are:

- Carmen Muņoz (University of Barcelona).

- Esther De Leeuw (Queen Mary, University of London)

We invite short abstracts for presentations and posters in English in any field of linguistics including, but not limited to: computational linguistics, phonetics and phonology, syntax and semantics, sociolinguistics, discourse and communication and neurolinguistics. Abstracts should not be longer than 300 words excluding title, author names, keywords and references and should be submitted via the following link: http://goo.gl/yY3qZc. We invite submissions for oral presentations of 20 minutes plus 5 minutes for discussion, as well as for poster presentations.

Workshop on Mass Media Health Communication

During TABU Dag, a workshop on Mass Media Health Communication will be held on Thursday June 12th from 13:30 until 18:00.

National and international organisations have been using mass media campaigns to get people to live healthier lives for many years now. The effects of these campaigns are varied. Why some strategies work in some situations and others do not is a question that is far from completely clear. One of the factors that seems to play an important role in the persuasiveness of a mass media health message is the receivers’ willingness to talk about the message afterwards. That leads to the question: how can we design messages that people find interesting to discuss? Should a message be as clear as possible or does it help if it includes a little puzzle the receiver may attempt to solve? Should we try to scare people into living a healthier life, or is it better to opt for a more neutral approach? Is it helpful if we tell people a compelling story with characters they can identify with if we want to change their health behaviour?

Topics of the workshop may be:

- Direct and indirect effects of health messages

- Message complexity

- Fear and shock appeals

- Narratives

- Health literacy

The workshop will be opened by Marco Yzer and closed with a panel discussion. During the workshop five other speakers will get the chance to present their work on Health Communication. We invite short abstracts of no more than 300 words, excluding title, author names, keywords, data and references. Abstracts should be submitted via the following link: http://goo.gl/yY3qZc. Time allotted for presentations is 20 minutes, followed by 5 minutes of discussion.

The official language of the conference is English.

The deadline for the abstract submission for both the TABU Dag and the workshop Mass Media Health Communication is 11 April 2014.

Notifications of acceptance will be sent on 25 April 2014.

Abstracts should be submitted via the following link: http://goo.gl/yY3qZc

For further information, please visit the conference website: www.tabudag.nl(http://www.tabudag.nl)

Conference location: Groningen, The Netherlands

Contact information: tabudag at rug.nl -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 10137 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20140402/23fba93b/attachment.txt>