[Corpora-List] Building a corpus from Twitter & Tw's privacy concerns

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Wed Jul 17 04:49:29 CEST 2013

On 7/16/2013 11:44 AM, John D. Burger wrote:
> There appears to be no legal reason you can't collect a corpus of
> tweets. However, per Twitter's Terms of Use you cannot redistribute
> the tweets to others.

At first I thought, "that's nuts." Then I thought, "well, if you consider tweets to be creative works like books and songs, it makes a certain sense." Then I concluded that that just shows how nuts our intellectual property system has become. And of course that nobody cares what a bunch of linguists think about our intellectual property system.

BTW, did everyone catch list member Patrick Juola in the news for helping identify J.K. Rowling as the author of /The Cuckoo's Calling/?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/news/education/duquesne-prof-helps-id-rowling-as-author-695629/

--

-Angus B. Grieve-Smith

grvsmth at panix.com

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 1616 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20130716/abb19076/attachment.txt>