October 10-11, 2013, Université Paris Est-Marne-la-Vallée
Unitex is an open-source text analysis software widely used in research, teaching and industry. It relies on Finite State technologies and incorporates large-scale language resources for several languages. GramLab is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE), based on Unitex software components but specifically designed for industrial purposes. It integrates tools that help collaborative development, versioning, etc.
The Unitex/GramLab Workshop aims at gathering academic and industrial users, developers and researchers contributing to the development of this open-source software and its resources or using them for developing new research or industrial applications. It is also a unique opportunity for new users to learn the basic and advanced Unitex techniques and discuss their projects with experts during hands-on sessions.
The program will offer an overview of the current trends: the development of real-life industrial applications based on Unitex, the use of Unitex in various research projects, the improvement of Unitex through the development of new features and the extension of the language resources. Training sessions of various levels will be also offered.
1) Call for communication, training session, demonstrations
- We invite submissions for communication in the following areas (not exclusive):
- Current research projects exploiting Unitex (all domains)
- Development of language resources for Unitex
- Development of new features or functionalities, optimization of existing programs, etc.
- Pedagogical initiatives using Unitex (for teaching NLP, Corpus linguistics, etc.)
- We invite Unitex experts to offer tutorials in the following domains (or others):
* Advanced use of graphs
* Cascading Transducers with CaSys
* POS tagging
* Unitex Scripting (Introduction to Unitex programming)
* Persistance and optimization for Unitex-based applications
* Building up on Unitex-UIMA
-We also call for developers to demonstrate Unitex-based applications.
2) Submission procedure
Send a 1 page abstract (max 3000 characters) to: cedrick.fairon at uclouvain.be This page will contain the following information: - Type of communication:
o Oral communication (20 minutes)
o Tutorial (2 hours)
o Demonstration (10 minutes in plenary session + poster/demo session) - Name, First name, Institution, e-mail - Title - Abstract - Oral presentation Language (French or English) - For tutorials: explain the rationale for this training and identify target audience
3) Proceedings and Publication
The Workshop proceedings will be released electronically. After the conference, the opportunity for a publication will be discussed.
4) Event: Unitex Fund
The Unitex Fund will be officially launched during the Workshop. This scientific fund is created in order to stimulate the development and ensure the maintenance of Unitex and its resources. A Scientific Board gathering people from more than 5 different institutions representing different categories of users and developers will manage the fund.
5) Important dates
Call for papers: First week of July Submission deadline: August 31, 2013 Author notification: September 6, 2013
- Until September 30, 2013: 50 euros - After September 30, 2013: 70 euros - Free registration for experts in charge of tutorials - A few grants are available for students who do not have access to funding (registration fees waived): submit application letter and proof of studentship to cedrick.fairon at uclouvain.be
- Registration fees cover: coffee breaks, 2 lunches (sandwiches), electronic version of the proceedings and handouts for the tutorials.
7) Scientific Committee
Antonio Balvet, STL, Université de Lille 3 Xavier Blanco, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona Matthieu Constant, LIGM, Université Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée Anne Dister, Université Saint-Louis - Bruxelles Cédrick Fairon, CENTAL, Université catholique de Louvain Thomas François, CENTAL, Université catholique de Louvain Nathalie Friburger, LI, Université François Rabelais Tours Nuria Gala, LIF, Université d’Aix-Marseille Tita Kyriacopoulou, LIGM, Université Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée Eric Laporte, LIGM, Université Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée Denis Maurel, LI, Université François Rabelais Tours Sébastien Paumier, Auteur d’Unitex Gaelle Recource, Kwaga Agata Savary, LI, Université François Rabelais Tours Dusko Vitas, Université de Belgrade Gilles Vollant, Ergonotics Patrick Watrin, Knowbel EarlyTracks
8) Organizing Committee
Cédrick Fairon, CENTAL, Université catholique de Louvain Tita Kyriacopoulou, LIGM, Université Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée Eric Laporte, LIGM, Université Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée Gaëlle Recourcé, Kwaga