[Corpora-List] 1st CFP: Australasian Language Technology Association Workshop, 4-6 December, Brisbane, Australia

Karin Verspoor karin.verspoor at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 16:12:09 CEST 2013

FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS

AUSTRALASIAN LANGUAGE TECHNOLOGY WORKSHOP (ALTA 2013) Eleventh Annual Meeting http://www.alta.asn.au/events/alta2013/

Tutorials: 4 December 2013 Workshop: 5–6 December 2013 Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

This year the Australasian Language Technology Workshop (ALTA) will be held at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia on Thursday 5 December and Friday 6 December. This event will be the eleventh annual instalment of the ALTA Workshop in its current incarnation, and the continuation of an annual workshop series that has existed under various guises since the early 90s. The meeting returns to Australia after a successful international event in Dunedin, New Zealand in 2012.

The goals of the ALTA workshop are:

-to bring together the growing Language Technology (LT) community

in the Australasian region and encourage interactions;

-to encourage interactions and collaboration within this community

and with the wider international LT community;

-to foster interaction between academic and industrial

researchers, to encourage dissemination of research results;

-to provide a forum for students and young researchers to present

their research;

-to facilitate the discussion of new and ongoing research and

projects;

-to provide an opportunity for the broader artificial intelligence

community to become aware of local LT research; and, finally,

-to increase visibility of LT research in Australasia and

overseas.

----- TOPICS -----

We invite the submission of papers on original and unpublished research on all aspects of natural language processing, including, but not limited to:

-phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, and discourse;

-speech understanding and generation;

-interpreting spoken and written language;

-natural language generation;

-linguistic, mathematical, and psychological models of language;

-NLP-based information extraction and retrieval;

-corpus-based and statistical language modelling;

-machine translation and translation aids;

-question answering and information extraction;

-natural language interfaces and dialogue systems;

-natural language and multimodal systems;

-message and narrative understanding systems;

-evaluations of language systems;

-embodied conversational agents;

-computational lexicography;

-summarisation;

-language resources;

-topic modelling and unsupervised language analysis;

-social media analysis and processing;

-domain-specific adaptation of natural language processing algorithms.

----- SUBMISSIONS -----

We welcome submissions on any topic that is of interest to the LT community, and particularly encourage submissions that broaden the scope of our community through the consideration of practical LT applications and through multi-disciplinary research. We also specifically encourage submissions from industry.

Submissions will be through EasyChair: https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=alta2013

All submissions should follow the ACL 2013 style guidelines and must be in PDF format.

Full paper submissions may consist of up to eight (8) pages of content plus any number of pages consisting of only references. Short papers may consist of up to four (4) pages of content plus any number of pages consisting of only references. All submissions should follow the two-column format of ACL proceedings. Full papers will be distinguished from short papers in the proceedings.

Papers will be presented either orally or as posters at the workshop. There will be no distinction between papers presented orally and those presented as posters in the proceedings.

Reviewing of papers will be double-blind. Therefore, the paper must not include the authors' names and affiliations. Furthermore, self-references that reveal the author's identity, e.g., "We previously showed (Smith, 1991) ...", must be avoided. Instead, use citations such as "Smith (1991) previously showed ...". Papers not conforming to these requirements will be rejected without review.

We strongly recommend the use of the ACL LaTeX style files or Microsoft Word Style files tailored for this year's conference. The style files and example documents will be available from the workshop website. We reserve the right to reject submissions that do not conform to these styles including font and page size restrictions.

----- PROCEEDINGS -----

The full proceedings volume will have an ISSN and will be published online on the ACL anthology website as well as the website of the Australasian Language Technology Association (ALTA).

------ STUDENT TRAVEL SUPPORT -----

Due to the generous support of our sponsors, ALTA will be offering travel support for students to attend and present at ALTA 2013. We will provide details of this on the workshop website at a later date.

----- INVITED SPEAKERS -----

We are working to line up a couple of very exciting speakers. We will announce them when they are confirmed.

----- TUTORIALS -----

We would like to offer a few full- or half-day tutorials on Wednesday 4 December and are currently requesting proposals for tutorial topics. If you would like to present a tutorial, or can suggest a topic of interest and a potentially interested individual or group to present it, please contact the organisers as soon as possible (workshop at alta.asn.au).

----- IMPORTANT DATES -----

Submission deadline: 15 September 2013 (23:59 GMT +10:00)

Notification: Tuesday 22 October 2013

Final camera-ready copy: Monday 4 November 2013

ALTA Workshop: Thursday 5 December -- Friday 6 December 2013

------ COMMITTEE -----

Workshop co-chairs

Karin Verspoor (NICTA)

Sarvnaz Karimi (CSIRO)

Program committee

Timothy Baldwin (University of Melbourne)

Steven Bird (University of Melbourne)

Wray Lindsay Buntine (NICTA)

Lawrence Cavedon (NICTA and RMIT University)

Nathalie Colineau (CSIRO)

Dominique Estival (University of Western Sydney)

Graeme Hirst (University of Toronto)

Nitin Indurkhya (UNSW)

Su Nam Kim (Monash University)

Francois Lareau (Macquarie University)

Andrew MacKinlay (NICTA VRL)

David Martinez (NICTA VRL)

Meladel Mistica (The Australian National University)

Diego Molla (Macquarie University)

Scott Nowson (Xerox Research Centre Europe)

Luiz Augusto Pizzato (University of Sydney)

Andrea Schalley (Griffith University)

Rolf Schwitter (Macquarie University)

Hanna Suominen (NICTA)

Stephen Wan (CSIRO)

Ingrid Zukerman (Monash University)

Workshop local organiser

We are pleased to be working with Laurianne Sitbon (Queensland

University of Technology) from ADCS to organise the co-located

workshops.

----- SPONSORSHIP -----

We are pleased to announce that we have already secured sponsorship for the workshop from NICTA (National ICT Australia) and Google.

If you or your organisation are interested in sponsoring the ALTA Workshop, please contact the workshop organisers for information.

----- ENQUIRIES -----

The Australasian Language Technology Workshop is being organised by ALTA, the Australasian Language Technology Association. For any comments or questions about the workshop please contact the workshop organisers (workshop at alta.asn.au).

----- ALTA Membership -----

We invite anyone interested in language technology research and development in Australia and New Zealand to join ALTA by subscribing to the ALTA mailing list. You will then receive periodic announcements by the ALTA Executive Committee about forthcoming activities and resources of the Association. For more information and to sign up, please see http://www.alta.asn.au/mailing_lists/index.html or simply send an email to <alta-announce+subscribe at googlegroups.com>. -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 10461 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20130702/25f1556e/attachment.txt>