[Corpora-List] Bootcamp 'Statistics for linguistics with R'

Stefan Th. Gries stgries
Sat Jan 12 18:03:10 CET 2013

Date: 08-13 August 2013 Location: Atlanta, GA, USA Contact: Ute Römer (<uroemer at gsu.edu>) and/or Scott Crossley (<scrossley at gsu.edu>) Meeting URL: http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/faculty/stgries/teaching/bootcamps/bootcamps2013.pdf

Meeting description:

The statistics bootcamp is a 30-hours hands-on introduction to statistical methods for both graduate students and seasoned researchers. Note: this statistics bootcamp can be taken together with the bootcamp 'Corpus linguistics with R', which takes place one week before this bootcamp. Using the open source software and programming language R, we will

- briefly recap basic aspects of statistical evaluation as well as several descriptive statistics; - discuss monofactorial statistical tests for frequencies, means, dispersions, correlations; - explore different kinds of multifactorial and multivariate methods, in particular different kinds of regression approaches as well as hierarchical cluster analysis.

For all statistical methods to be explored, we will discuss how to test their assumptions and visualize their results with nice and annotated statistical graphs, and sometimes we will reanalyze published data from corpus-linguistic studies. The participants will also get small functions they can use for their own statistical applications. Also, there will be a small section on how to write small statistical/visualization functions yourself. The content of this statistics bootcamp is based on the upcoming second edition of Gries (2009d, <http://tinyurl.com/StatForLingWithR>) to be published in May 2013.

STG -- Stefan Th. Gries ----------------------------------------------- University of California, Santa Barbara http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/faculty/stgries -----------------------------------------------