[Corpora-List] corpora with regular expression engine (syntactic pattern)

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Sun Feb 24 15:53:20 CET 2013

Dear Austina,

There are quite a few pieces of infrastucture (corpus, tagger, query engine, interface) to put together to get what you want: in the Sketch Engine this has all been done for you. There are tagged corpora for these languages (and plenty of others) already set up, so you can go to a corpus (here the British Academic Written English (BAWE)), type in a query (for eg ditransitive verb constructions where first NP is a pronoun)

"VV.*" "PP" "DET"? "JJ"* "NN"+

(this is a CQL query with default attribute set to 'tag', operating over the CLAWS English tagset)

and you get results that start with

r Sociologyradical behaviour. It would certainly have *gained them the sympathy*and attention from those around them, if History'How much more properly did the apostles *call themselves servants* of the present Christ', he wrote in anHistory everywhere he is in chains', he argues, 'One*thinks himself the master* of others, and still remains a greater Sociologyhegemonic masculinity, as the life he leads *makes him the embodiment*of the masculine ideals of "competitiveness Historylimitation of its own, because it does not *tell us the relative fighter* position vis-a-vis the wider picture ofHistory limitation of its own, because it does not*tell us the relative fighter position* vis-a-vis the wider picture of total aircraftHistoryproduction than Britain to trainers), and they *give us no insight*into how many of the aircraft delivered Historyprevent annihilation, with Scotty lamenting 'I *bring you warning* ... Watch the skies. Everywhere... KeepBiological Sciences group which determines each amino acid and*gives it specific characteristics* such as charge. A term used to describe Historythe main offices, and the posts he held *gave him direct authority*or at the very least powers of persuasion Historyall the offices. Though all his positions *gave him important influence* , it was his position as General Secretary History political stance during meetings, it did*allow him the luxury* of supporting which ever people he wished Historywithin the party. The positions Stalin held *permitted him great influence*within a large number of party areas undetected Psychology 1968) used a token economy with patients,*giving them tokens* for acts such as making their bed or brushingHistoryof San Pancrazio. Commissioning artists *gave them the opportunities*to try out new styles and techniques as Historysome sort of machine to move them. This *gave him the idea* of the ulivella, a machine to move largeHistory . The conditions in Florence at the time*made it the ideal place* for artists and scholars to work. There Historynightingale in "Ode to a Nightingale" by *giving it human feelings*with its 'soul abroad / In such an ecstasy Historydegree pulled the Soviet people together, *giving them hope* of victory." The cult of Stalin's personalityHistory fulfilled- it fired up the European imagination,*giving it the impetus* to venture out and explore the world; it

Do go and play - free trial accounts at http://www.sketchengine.co.uk

Adam