[Corpora-List] What are the terms used for sentence-, paragraph- and text-level analysis?

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 01:44:14 CET 2013

> lemma (pl. lemmata) means "word" in morphological analysis
> (linguistics), what are the ("fancy" Greek) terms used for phrase-,
> sentence-, paragraph- and text-level analysis?

"Phrase analysis" and "paragraph analysis" are already derived entirely from Greek terms (φράσις, παράγραφος, ἀνάλυσις). How much more Greek do you want them to be?

yeah, right! The thing is that I am not a linguist and I think I heard/read (or imagined!) such terms once existed

>>>The question remains why do we need "fancy" expressions at all?
>> Because linguistics can't possibly afford to have a clear and unified
>> terminology

>Whatever the value of that argument in general, it's certainly not
>applicable to this case: as far as I know, ‘lemma’ is the
>universally-used term for canonical (in lexicography), uninflected
>forms (in morphology and computational linguistics). You don't get
>much more unified than that.

>As for clarity, I've never seen what's wrong with having a term of art
>for a concept that doesn't have an unambiguous correlate in everyday

Yes, but which concept does have an unambiguous correlate in everyday usage? ;-)

and even if you make up a totally aseptic, esperanto kind of term, once people start using it it will get messy again.

They use in German English words for "concepts"/terms for which they perfectly valid and even down right pictorial terms even in Physics. I always wondered why (from a linguistic/anthropological, not a political point of view). What I find interesting is that happens with just some terms ...


More information about the Corpora mailing list