[Corpora-List] Machine Readable Dictionaries

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Tue Feb 19 08:25:30 CET 2013

On 2/19/2013 2:03 AM, Muhammad Adeel wrote:
> I want to extract synonymous words from the dictionary/thesaurus. For
> example, if I give it the word "car" it may return synonyms like
> "automobile, motorcar". Note I am already using WordNet but looking for
> other resources.

You might find the software for Formal Concept Analysis (FCA) useful for your purpose. Following is the FCA home page:

http://www.upriss.org.uk/fca/fca.html

As examples, the FCA tools were applied to WordNet and Roget's Thesaurus to generate a little lattice around any word. For Wordnet, see

http://www.ketlab.org.uk/wordnet.html

For Roget's, see

http://www.ketlab.org.uk/roget.html

You can submit your words to both of them. You can submit words of any part of speech. WordNet is not very useful for adjectives, but Roget's Thesaurus produces interesting lattices.

There is a lot more FCA software available for free download.

John Sowa