[Corpora-List] OALI pledge to publish (open access monographs in linguistics)

Yannick Versley versley at sfs.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Feb 18 10:08:39 CET 2013

> Why should I publish in your Open Access Project?

Could you please summarise the advantages to authors as well as to the
> research community?

I don't want to preempt any sort of more elaborate response by the people who are actually involved, but here is my hunch: Books, as they are today, are not a good tool for disseminating original material because of the substantial price tag attached to them (and, for obvious reasons, you don't know what you are buying unless you already have the chapter in question from the author's website, or have read a review of the chapter or book somewhere). If you don't care about people reading your work, but have to worry about impact factor, here's a quantitative analysis from a nearby field: http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2012/08/29/how-to-bury-your-academic-writing/

A high-quality open access book series (which is what we should hope for) would remove the paywall between your work and your potential readers, and thereby get your work more visibility.

Best wishes, Yannick

-- Dr. Yannick Versley

Sonderforschungsbereich 833 Universität Tübingen Nauklerstr. 35 72074 Tübingen

Tel.: +49-7071-29 77155 -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 1894 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20130218/ea8a63b6/attachment.txt>