[Corpora-List] Broader linguistic resources

Mcenery, Tony a.mcenery at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Feb 12 17:34:40 CET 2013

For a very broad introduction to the study of the English language, there is:

J. Culpeper, F. Katamba, P. Kerswill, R. Wodak, T. McEnery (Eds.) (2009) English Language: Description, Variation and Context Basingstoke: Palgrave.

________________________________________ From: corpora-bounces at uib.no [corpora-bounces at uib.no] on behalf of Dominic P Rout [d.rout at sheffield.ac.uk] Sent: 12 February 2013 13:55 To: corpora at uib.no Subject: [Corpora-List] Broader linguistic resources

Hello all

I was recently discussing the work of Steven Pinker with a colleague, and we talked about how one thing lacked by many PhD students in NLP is a broader understanding of language, outside of their chosen field.

It was suggested that I ask this list the following question:

What are some useful, broad and accessible overview books about language (specifically in English) that might be useful to a student of NLP wishing to broaden their horizons?

Does anyone have any answers, or starting points?

Thanks Dominic Rout PhD Student Natural Language Processing Group The University of Sheffield http://domrout.co.uk