[Corpora-List] Broader linguistic resources

Dominic P Rout d.rout at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Feb 12 14:55:21 CET 2013

Hello all

I was recently discussing the work of Steven Pinker with a colleague, and we talked about how one thing lacked by many PhD students in NLP is a broader understanding of language, outside of their chosen field.

It was suggested that I ask this list the following question:

What are some useful, broad and accessible overview books about language (specifically in English) that might be useful to a student of NLP wishing to broaden their horizons?

Does anyone have any answers, or starting points?

Thanks Dominic Rout PhD Student Natural Language Processing Group The University of Sheffield http://domrout.co.uk