[Corpora-List] how many subscribers are there on corpora-list?

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Wed Aug 21 14:23:29 CEST 2013

On 8/21/2013 7:08 AM, Trevor Jenkins wrote:
> The single number doesn't mean anything.

I agree with that statement. What I believe people want to know is the impact of various lists relative to other methods of sharing their thoughts with colleagues in related fields.

The simple answer is that nobody really knows how to measure impact in any absolute sense. Even relative impact is extremely difficult to measure. And any numbers that are generated are suspect.

On 8/21/2013 6:24 AM, Hieu Hoang wrote:
> imo, it is an imperfect but useful bit of information to gauge the
> relative popularity of the mailing list. In Oct 2010, i asked the same
> question for some popular NLP/SMT mailing list:
> Corpora list : 3600
> EAMT - 792
> Moses - 630

But what is the relative percentage of email that subscribers actually (a) read, (b) delete within N seconds of being opened, (c) do anything about -- such as reply to, click on a URL, use as a starting point for further searches, etc. ?

John