[Corpora-List] how many subscribers are there on corpora-list?

Miles Osborne miles at inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed Aug 21 12:56:43 CEST 2013

I can see why this information is not made public (spamming and identity theft) but it should be possible to estimate the numbers.

if we assume that people post at the same rate as they always do (clearly wrong) then simply counting the number of authors over a period of time will tell you whether the numbers are growing, or stagnant. it might also be possible to apply capture-recapture reasoning here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_and_recapture

having subscribed to this list (with different email addresses) since 1992 or so, in my experience the numbers of postings hasn't dramatically increased over time. this makes me think that the numbers of subscribers is fairly constant and probably fairly low. i would guess we have in the hundreds of people.

Miles

-- The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 1121 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20130821/425df737/attachment.txt>